Elected first in 2010, this Republican is only known for authoring legislation to negatively impact marijuana consumers early in his career.
During 2019, the Assembly Republicans prefiled a bill for the 2020 legislative session to create a medical marijuana program in Wisconsin (Assembly Bill 750) which he failed to co-sponsor and really has only offered lip service on medical marijuana reform, saying he supports "FDA Approved Medical Marijuana."
March 2020 Republicans circulated a decriminalization bill for co-sponsorship which he failed to co-sponsor.
Rep. Thiesfeldt continues to fail.
- Born Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, November 22, 1966; married since 1990; 4 children.
- Graduate Kettle Moraine Lutheran High School (Jackson), 1985; B.S. in Elementary Education, Martin Luther College, 1989; attended University of Minnesota, 1992–93.
- Full-time legislator. Former teacher.
- Member: Fond du Lac Noon Rotary; Fond du Lac County Republican Party; Redeemer Lutheran Church; Thrivent Financial; National Rifle Association; Leadership Fond du Lac Alumni; Wisconsin Farm Bureau; Wisconsin Civil Air Patrol.
- Former member: Fond du Lac City Council, 2005–10.
- Elected to Assembly since 2010.
Opposed: However, I have great concern the current promotion by adults for legalization has convinced children that marijuana use is trivial. The societal negatives of legalization will outweigh the positives, and we have clear evidence of this.
Oct 2018 Candidate Forum: Absolutely opposed legalizationl, no postive things, recreational pushers make kids think it is no big deal and market to children. Was in California and saw billboards for marijuana. You cannot do cigarette billboards but you can for marijuana.
Oct 2018 FDA Approved only for medical marijuana and warns in violation of federal law.
Rep. Thiesfeldt was the Author of 2014 Law that allows municipalities to charge an ordinance violation if county District Attorney declines to prosecute 25 grams or less.