Smoke the Vote is a project of NORML and is powered by Single Issue. We do our best to ensure our listings are updated with the latest information. If you have suggested revisions or additions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
NORML has partnered with VoteSmart to provide you with the most comprehensive, trusted and current data on candidates running for state and federal offices in the 2020 election.
For Federal Incumbents, they are graded as:
- An 'A' letter grade indicates that this candidate has publicly declared their support for ending marijuana prohibition of marijuana for adults and/or has cosponsored legislation to do so.
- A 'B' letter grade indicates that this candidate supports policies specific to the legalization of medical cannabis and/or support to give states greater autonomy in setting their own policies but have not cosponsored legislation to end marijuana prohibition.
- A 'C' letter grade indicates that this candidate has publicly acknowledged that states are moving forward with cannabis law reform policies and minor adjustments should be made at the federal level, such as support for the SAFE Banking Act
- A 'D' letter grade indicates that this candidate has expressed no support for any significant marijuana law reform
- An 'F' letter grade indicates that this member expresses significant and vocal opposition to marijuana law reform
State level candidates are assessed largely on the same standards as the federal candidates, yet local NORML chapter leaders and activists have the autonomy to set the grades as they see fit.