After serving 10 years in the legislature, Republican Senator Marklein has not really moved on his stance. He must not have been entertained enough because he did not even co-sponsor the Republican bill to create a medical marijuana program for Wisconsin. Senate Bill 683 does not allow home growing of marijuana or marijuana smoking products. Vetted and supported by the Caucus, if Senator Marklein was a leader he would have supported this measure. If Senator Marklein cared about the sick, dying and disabled of his district that benefit from medical marijuana, he would have done more.
Holds office State Senate District 17
- Born Madison, Wisconsin, October 3, 1954; married; 2 children, 3 stepchildren, 5 grandchildren.
- Graduate River Valley High School (Spring Green), 1972; B.B.A. University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, 1976.
- Certified public accountant (CPA); certified fraud examiner (CFE).
- Member: St. John’s Catholic Church Spring Green (finance committee member); Taliesin Preservation Inc. Board of Trustees (treasurer); National Rifle Association.
- Former member: University of Wisconsin-Whitewater National Alumni Association (president); University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Foundation (board of directors presi¬dent); Fort Health Care Board of Directors (chair, treasurer); Fort Atkinson Rotary Club (president); Fort Atkinson Chamber of Commerce (president); Whitewater Chamber of Commerce (president); Dodgeville Chamber of Commerce (vice president).
- Recipient: WMC Working for Wisconsin Award 2018, 2016, 2014, 2012; MMAC Champion of Commerce Award 2018, 2016, 2014, 2012; Wisconsin Pork Association Distinguished Service Award 2013; Wisconsin Newspaper Association Badger Award 2013; Wisconsin Aquaculture Association Legislator of the Year 2013; Dairy Business Association Legislative Excellence Award 2018, 2016, 2012; Wisconsin Auto Collision Technicians Association Legislator of the Year 2016; Wisconsin Towns Association Friend of Towns 2016; Associated General Contractors Legislator of the Year 2016; Wisconsin Counties Association Out¬standing Legislator 2018, 2016; Wisconsin Builders Association Friend of Housing 2018, 2016, 2015; Wisconsin Association of Local Health Departments and Boards & Wisconsin Public Health Association Friend of Public Health 2018, 2016; Wisconsin Hospitals Association Health Care Advocate Award, 2018; Associated Builders and Contractors, Building Wisconsin Award,2018, 2014; League of Wisconsin Municipalities, Municipal Champion Award, 2018, 2016; National Federation of Independent Businesses, Guardian of Small Business Award, 2018; University of Wisconsin Platteville, Friend of the University Award, 2018; Wisconsin Grocers Association, Friend of Grocers, 2018; Wisconsin Agribusiness Association, Friend of Wisconsin Agribusiness, 2018; Wisconsin ATV/UTV Association, President’s Award, 2017; Wisconsin State Telecommunications Association, Excellence in Legislative Leadership Award, 2018.
- Elected to Assembly 2010, 2012. Elected to Senate since 2014. Leadership positions: President Pro Tempore 2019, 2017.
Member of Transportation Projects Commission
“Marijuana I believe is a gateway drug,” Marklein said. “Not every person that uses marijuana ends up being an addict, but I can tell you every addict probably started with marijuana.” (2/8/21)
State Capitol, Room 316 East Post Office Box 7882
Madison, WI 53707-7882