For Republican Representative John Macco, the push to legalize marijuana is personal.
“I think Sen. Fitgerald was a little bit quick in his critique and I would have liked him to have a little bit more open-mindedness,” expressed Macco.
Macco said his wife has been traveling to Mexico for alternative health options not available in Wisconsin, so he understands what medical marijuana patients experience when they have to look outside Wisconsin for options.
“For us to have access to that is a real blessing, add I’m frustrated because not everyone has that same access and I wish they would,” he said. “I think there needs to be the tools available for all individuals to have the same access to healthcare that we do.”
Macco hopes the medical marijuana legislation is brought up for debate, but at this time no such debate is planned.
For calling out prohibitionist Senator Scott Fitzgerald alone he deserves a good grade, but also because people in his district say he supports marijuana reform. Although Rep. Macco did not officially sponsor any legisaltion on the issues in the 2019-20 session, we consider him a supporter of medical marijuana.
In the 2021-22 session he did not break ranks from the GOP on the issue, only co-sponsoring the Republican marijuana start up bill and leaving the home grows and smoking products of the table for this guy.
Holds office State Assembly District 88
- Born Green Bay, Wisconsin, September 23, 1958; married; 2 children, 6 grandchildren.
- Graduate Green Bay Southwest High School, 1976; attended NWTC and University of Wisconsin-Green Bay.
- Founder of regional financial planning group; Founder of regional retail franchise; Business consultant.
- Member: National Rifle Association.
- Former member: American Cancer Society of Wood County; Old Main Street Marshfield; Old Main Street De Pere; Old Main Street Green Bay; U.S. Ski Patrol; Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association; Deacon and Church Elder at Central Church, Green Bay.
- Elected to Assembly since 2014.
March 20202 via Northern Wisconsin NORML Instagram: Rep. Macco commented that he would be part of the drafting team for future medical marijuana legisaltion.
NOTE: As a Republican Incumbent in 2018, he gave similar news statements that he would consider medical marijuana legislation.
State Capitol, Room 208 North Post Office Box 8953
Madison, WI 53708-8953