A strong supporter of decriminalization in past sessions and is working hard to unite both parties to support decriminalization of marijuana. A strong champion in changing how the criminal justice system treats marijuana possession.
Holds office State Assembly District 18
- Born Neenah, Wisconsin, November 24, 1982; married.
- Graduate Edgewood High School (Madison), 2001; B.A. in Political Science, St. John’s University (Minnesota), 2005; J.D. Marquette University Law School, 2009.
- Attorney. Former state public defender.
- Member: Historic Concordia Neighborhood Association (board member); Progressive Community Health Center (former board member); State Bar of Wisconsin; Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America; Milwaukee Democratic Delegation (former chair). Milwaukee Young Lawyers Association (former board member).
- Former member: American Federation of Teachers Local 4822.
- Elected to Assembly since 2012.
Member of Juvenile Corrections Study Committee
From 2014: 1. “I don’t yet know if I support the legalization of marijuana. I am watching Washington and Colorado closely and am listening to both proponents and opponents here in Wisconsin. I do believe there needs to be immediate changes to our enforcement and criminal justice responses to marijuana possession, which can be done without delay.”
2. I strongly support and have tried to champion changing how the criminal justice system treats marijuana possession. Far too many young people are forever branded with the scarlet “felon” label due to a marijuana possession conviction. If marijuana possession was treated the same as drunk driving, I believe many of the negative outcomes within the justice system would be reduced.”
Sponsor of 2017 Decriminalizatoin Legislation.
July 2019: But Goyke’s office said the lawmaker is looking to re-introduce the legislation later this session, though he’s still working to find a Republican co-author, following Jarchow’s departure from the Legislature.
Did not co-sponsor SB 577 in 2019
AB 570 Medical marijuana allowing home grows and smoking products.
State Capitol, Room 112 North Post Office Box 8952
Madison, WI 53708