Republican Rob Swearingen Chairs of the Assembly Committee of State Affairs, which is/was "in charge" of medical marijuana for the 2019-20 legislative session. He was one the Republicans that gutted everything marijuana reform related from the budget, calling for the issue(s) to be addressed outside the budget. The next step in the process was to hold a public hearing on the issue. Rep Swearingen in February 2020 said “I’d be willing to look at a proposal for medical marijuana as long as it was prescribed by a doctor and filled by a licensed pharmacy.”
Rep Swearingen held his very own Spring 2019 GOP Survey and results yielded 63% support medical marijuana.
Well, he lied, again. The past medical marijuana legislation fit that bill by definition came, Senate Bill 507 / Assembly Bill 570 (Medical Marijuana with home grows/smoking) and then the Republican Caucus bill vetted to get a public hearing arrived Assembly Bill 750 / Senate Bill 683 (Creation of a Medical Marijuana Program). Both are stuck in the committee he is the leader of. Most likely medical marijuana legislation will die in committee under the watchful eye of Committee Chair Rob Swearingen.
Rep. Swearingen maybe pushing "pill only form" of legislation, but he is still denying any cannabis reform from public hearings in his committee and for that reason we grade him a F.
Holds office State Assembly District 34
- Born Oneida County, Wisconsin, July 23, 1963; married; 2 children.
- Graduate Rhinelander High School, 1981.
- Restaurant owner/operator.
- Tavern League of Wisconsin (former president, zone vice president, district director); American Beverage Licensees (former member, board of directors); Oneida County Tavern League (former president, vice president); Rhinelander Chamber of Commerce; Oneida County Republican Party.
- Elected to Assembly since 2012.
Member of Building Commission
State Capitol, Room 123 West Post Office Box 8953
Madison, WI 53708