As a candidate she did not support recreational marijuana measures and leaned towards decriminalization. The newly elected Rep. Myers from Milwaukee did not author, sponsor or co-sponsor legislation on marijuana reform her first session as an Assembly Representative.
Holds office State Assembly District 12
- Born Milwaukee, Wisconsin, May 21, 1984; single.
- Graduate Rufus King High School, 2002; B.A. in Political Science, Alcorn State University, 2006; M. Ed., Strayer University, 2009; Ed.D., Argosy University, 2016.
- Educator; small business owner. Former subcommittee clerk, U.S. House of Representatives; former legislative aide, Wisconsin State Senate.
- Member: Alcorn State University National Alumni Association (Milwaukee Chapter Vice President); Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.; Democratic Party of Wisconsin; Historically Black College/University Alumni United (President); Milwaukee Metropolitan Alliance of Black School Educators; National Education Association; National Association for the Advancement of Colored People; Wisconsin African American Chamber of Commerce.
- Former member: National Membership Director College Democrats of America (2005–2006); Phi Delta Kappa International; National Council of Negro Women.
- Elected to Assembly 2018.
July 2018: Opposed at this time. "I not at the point of legalizing it totally just to have a free for all."
July 2018: Supports but did not co-sponsor the Decriminalization Bill. "I think we should decriminalize marijuana"
Unknown, did not co-sponsor AB 570.
An educator who pulled off a major upset when she defeated a longtime incumbent lawmaker in the Democratic primaries will become one of only two black women in Wisconsin’s state Assembly — a feat she attributes to long days knocking on voters’ doors.
LaKeshia Myers, 34, beat state Rep. Fred Kessler by 23 percentage points in the 12th Assembly District, and since she’ll be unopposed in November the seat is hers. Kessler, 78, had held the seat for 14 years after prior stints in the Legislature in the 1960s.
State Capitol, Room 3 North Post Office Box 8953
Madison, WI 53708