The leading prohibitionist in the Assembly, Rep. Jesse James was a co-sponsor of the 2019 Republican attempt to create a medical marijuana program (the “pill bill” that did not allow smoking products or home grows).
He has been outspoken as wanting to be the lead on stopping recreational marijuana reform from happening in Wisconsin. Long time prohibitionist and mega rich man Senator Duey Stroebel was listening when Rep. James was mouthing off, and the two have collaborated to concentrate on finding some way to increase penalties for cannabis use.
Holds office State Senate District 23
- Born Eau Claire, Wisconsin, April 16, 1972; married; 4 children.
- Graduate Eau Claire North High School, 1990; Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire (associate degree in Police Science, 2001; Emergency Medical Responder, 2015; Entry level, Fire I, Fire II Firefighter, 2016); University of Wisconsin-Madison Command College (Certified Public Manager, 2017).
- Small business owner. Served in the U.S. Army Air Defense, 1990&mdash93; U.S. Army Reserves (Medic), 1993–96; Persian Gulf War veteran; Former warehouse specialist; police officer; SWAT team member; firefighter.
- Member: Jacob’s Well Security Team Advisor/Trainer.
- Former member: Boy Scouts of America (Cubmaster); YMCA (basketball coach); AYSO (soccer coach); Eau Claire United Soccer Club (soccer coach).
- Elected to Assembly 2018.
State Representative Jesse James (R) Altoona and former Altoona Police Chief says he is against the legalization of marijuana for recreational use.
“We need to take into consideration the states that have already legalized marijuana and look at the impact it has had,” James says. “This is a very complicated issue.”
He says there is a big focus on marijuana legislation, especially now that it has been legalized in two neighboring states.
“There are emails that come daily regarding the legalization of marijuana,” James says. “I also want to be the spokesperson that educates people to at least take a moment and try to understand the impact but let’s look at the future and the devastation that is going to come because it will.”
Supports, sponsored limited medical marijuana program with no smoking/no home grows.
However James does support medical marijuana. He says the senate will not look at it this session but it is something that could be considered by the assembly in the near future and possibly next session.
“It is something we should be able to support because it will help so many people with medical conditions,” James says.
Assembly Bill 236 Regarding firearms and confidentiality of medical marijuana patients: https://www.northernwinorml.org/2019/11/20/support-assembly-bill-236-senate-bill-237/
Assembly Bill 750 Creation of a Medical Marijuana Program: https://www.northernwinorml.org/2020/01/19/republican-medical-marijuana-bill-receives-committee-assignments/
During the 2021 legislation session, Rep. Jesse James circulated a bill to increase the penalty levels for BHO, butane hash oil products, both manufacturing and simple possession. Author of SB 440 - Butane Hash Oil Enhanced Penalty Bill
Room 319 South State Capitol Post Office Box 7882
Madison, WI 53707