Michael Trudeau (G - NC)
Position on Marijuana Legalization
A direct submission from Michael Trudeau himself:
Hello! I am running for NC State Senate District 16 in this year's general election. My positions on pot are those of the NC Green Party:
END THE WAR ON DRUGS
1. End the "war on drugs." Redirect funds presently budgeted for the "war on drugs" toward expanded research, education, counseling and treatment.
2. Amend the Controlled Substances Act to reflect that drug use in itself is not a crime, and that persons living in the United States arrested for using drugs should not be incarcerated with those who have committed victim oriented crimes.
3. Fully legalize possession, sale, and cultivation of cannabis/marijuana.
4. Strike from the record prior felony convictions for marijuana possession, sale, or cultivation.
5. Grant amnesty and release from confinement without any further parole or probation, those who have been incarcerated for the use, sale, or cultivation of marijuana in federal and state prisons and in county/city jails, and who otherwise are without convictions for victim oriented crimes, or who do not require treatment for abuse of hard drugs. Provide the option for drug treatment to those leaving confinement.
6. Implement a step-by-step program to decriminalize all drugs in the United States. We support legalizing the personal possession of controlled substances.
Know more about this politician's position on marijuana? Tell us!
A- Publicly supports ending prohibition of marijuana for adults.
Candidate tagged self 8/29/22 and noted that he supports "an end to the "war on drugs," legalization of drugs and for treating drug abuse as a health issue. The war on drugs has been an ill-conceived and institutionally racist program that has wasted billions of dollars, misdirecting law enforcement resources away from apprehending and prosecuting violent criminals, while crowding our prisons with nonviolent drug offenders and disproportionately criminalizing youth of color.