- Born Wausau, Wisconsin, June 16, 1950; married; 4 children, 3 grandchildren.
- Graduate Newman High School (Wausau); attended University of Wisconsin-Marathon County and Northcentral Technical College.
- Former ginseng, dairy, and beef farmer. Served in Army Reserve, 1968–74.
- Member: Seventh Congressional District, Marathon, Wood, Taylor, Rusk, Sawyer, Price, Lincoln, Portage, and Shawano County Republican Parties; Farm Bureau; National Rifle Association; Friends of Rib Mountain; Wausau Elks; Marathon Lions.
- Former member: Wisconsin Rifle and Pistol Association; International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local #1791; Childcare Connection Board; Department of Transportation Law Enforcement Advisory Council; Marathon County Hunger Coalition.
- Recipient: American Heart Association Legislator of the Year 2018, 2016, 2014; End Domestic Abuse Wisconsin Legislative Leader Award 2014; Wisconsin VFW Legislator of the Year 2014; Wisconsin American Legion Legislator of the Year 2014; Wisconsin Vietnam Veterans Legislator of the Year 2002; Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs Certificate of Commendation 2005; Wisconsin Towns Association Friend of Wisconsin Towns Award 2016, 2014, 2011; Wisconsin Counties Association Outstanding Legislator Award 2014; Wisconsin Economic Development Association Working for Wisconsin Award 2018; Wisconsin Urban and Rural Transit Association Legislative Statesman of the Year 2014; Wisconsin Professional Police Association Legislator of the Year 2014; Wisconsin Troopers Association Legislator of the Year 2014, 2003; Center for Driver’s License Recovery and Employability Legislative Champion Award 2014; State Bar of Wisconsin Scales of Justice Award 2014; Wisconsin Dental Association Legislative Champion Award 2013 & Award of Honor (Mission of Mercy) 2011; Wisconsin Academy of Family Physicians Friend of Family Medicine Award 2016, 2014; American Academy of Pediatrics Childhood Legislative Advocate of the Year 2005; Wisconsin Council on Physical Disabilities Appreciation Award 2014; Wisconsin Primary Health Care Association Community Health Center Friend Award 2018; Wisconsin Public Health Association Friend of Public Health Award 2016; Wisconsin Electric Cooperatives Association Enlightened Legislator of the Year 2013; Wisconsin Farm Bureau Friend of Agriculture Award 2006, 2004; Wisconsin Dairy Business Association Legislative Excellence Award 2018, 2014, 2012, 2010, 2008; Wisconsin Grocers Association Friend of the Grocers Award 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008, 2006; Wisconsin Pork Association Distinguished Public Service Award 2016; Wisconsin Builders Association Friend of Housing Award 2018, 2016, 2013, 2006; Associated Builders and Contractors of Wisconsin Building Wisconsin Award 2014; State Farm Insurance Golden Car Seat Award 2007; Chiropractic Society of Wisconsin Legislator of the Year 2014, Champion for Chiropractic Award 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015; 3M Award of Appreciation 2001; Wisconsin Paper Council Champion of Paper Award 2007; Wisconsin Technical College System Legislator of the Year Award 2016; Wisconsin Technical College District Boards Association Legislator of the Year 2016; UWSP Paper Science Foundation Friends of the Foundation Award 2005; WMC Working for Wisconsin Award 2018, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2002, 2000; MMAC Champion of Commerce Award 2016, 2014; The American Conservative Union Defender of Liberty Award 2013; Wisconsin Ginseng Board Assistance to the Wisconsin Ginseng Industry Award 2005; Wisconsin Bear Hunters Association Hero Award 2014, 2012.
- Elected to Assembly 1998–2010. Elected to Senate in June 2012 special election. Reelected since 2014. Leadership positions: Majority Caucus Sergeant at Arms 2003–07.
Member of Building Commission, Highway Safety, Council on, Migrant Labor Council and Transportation Projects Commission
Unknown - did not co-sponsor SB 377 - click link to send this Senator a message to support adult use marijuana legislation.
Unknown, did not co-sponosor SB 577 - click link to send this Senator a message to support decriminalization.
Unknown, did not co-sponsor SB 507 or SB 683 - click link to send a message to this Senator and the Committees to support medical marijuana.
Marathon County voters turned out in droves during the 2018 election / marijuana refrendums, seeing a turnout of more than 83 percent of registered voters. Poll workers reported steady streams of voters throughout the day at location across Wausau and nationwide. Early estimates put statewide turnout at nearly 70 percent.
“Should the State of Wisconsin allow individuals with debilitating medical conditions to use and safely access marijuana for medical purposes, if those individuals have a written recommendation from a licensed Wisconsin physician?”
- 82% YES
- 18% NO
The 29th District of the Wisconsin Senate is located in north-central Wisconsin, and is currently composed of Marathon, Barron, Bayfield, Price, Rusk, and Taylor Counties. Other than the metro Wausau area, the district is mostly rural
State Capitol, Room 123 South Post Office Box 7882
Madison, WI 53707-7882