She has held this Senate seat for nearly 30 years and held onto her prohibitionist position just as long.
Holds office State Senate District 8
Candidate in race for State Senate District 8
- Born Hammond, Indiana, April 28; widowed; 2 children, 3 grandchildren.
- Graduate University of Wisconsin-Madison; postgraduate work University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
- Former teacher and marketing director.
- Member: North Shore Rotary; College Savings Program Board (EdVest); Junior League of Milwaukee (former president); Wisconsin Children’s Caucus (cofounder); Milwaukee Child Welfare Partnership Council; NCSL Budgets and Revenue standing committee (vice chair); Fostering Futures Policy Advisory Council; NCSL Task Force on State and Local Taxation.
- Former member: Next Door Foundation; Public Policy Forum; Wisconsin Strategic Planning Council for Economic Development; Greater Milwaukee Committee; Goals for Greater Milwaukee 2000 Project (executive committee); United Way Board (chair, allocations committee); Tempo Professional Women’s Organization; Future Milwaukee (president); Milwaukee Forum; Children’s Service Society of Wisconsin (board of directors); American Red Cross of Wisconsin (executive committee, board of directors); League of Women Voters; Today’s Girls/Tomorrow’s Women, Boys & Girls Club (founder); NCSL Education Committee (chair); YMCA (board member).
- Recipient: Shining Star of Education Reform; Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Government Advocates Award; Greater Milwaukee Committee Leadership Award; Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Legislative Leadership Award; Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce Working for Wisconsin; American Conservative Union Foundation Defender of Liberty Award; Friend of Grocers; Coalition of Wisconsin Aging Groups Tommy G. Thompson Award for Service; RightWisconsin Iron Lady Award, Margaret Thatcher Award; Wisconsin Charter Champion Award; National MS Hall of Fame Inductee; American Cancer Society Legislative Champion; Fair Air Coalition Friend of Education; Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce Champion of Commerce; Wisconsin Head Start Directors Association Award of Excellence; National Association of Community Leadership Leadership Award; United Way Gwen Jackson Leadership Award; St. Francis Children’s Center Children Service Award.
- Elected to Assembly in May 1990 special election. Reelected November 1990. Elected to Senate since 1992.
Member of Milwaukee Child Welfare Partnership Council
She disproves of marijuana legalization. When asked in March 2019 if legalization will happen based on the overwhelming support in the state, she replied: "No, and I'll tell you why. We have to do research on why it's so popular and what the benefits are."
State Capitol, Room 317 East Post Office Box 7882
Madison, WI 53707-7882