We have Senator Carpenter labeled as a cannaibs supporter. We are not aware that we sponsored adult use or decriminaliztion measures. In the past he was against medical marijuana patients growing their own medicine and it appears he has a change of heart as he did sponsr AB 570 this session, which was medical marijuana legislation with home grows. We grade him a B- but could easy advance up or drop a grade based off his future actions.
Holds office State Senate District 3
- Born Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Graduate, Pulaski High School; B.A. in Political Science and History, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee; M.A. in Public Policy and Public Administration, La Follette School of Public Affairs, University of Wisconsin-Madison; Milwaukee Police Department Citizen Academy, 2018.
- Full-time legislator.
- Member: Sierra Club; Jackson Park Neighborhood Association; Story Hill Neighborhood Association; Milwaukee VA Soldiers Home Advisory Council; Milwaukee LGBT Community Center; Wisconsin Humane Society; Polish Center of Wisconsin; Democratic Party.
- Recipient: Mothers Against Drunk Driving Legislator of the Year; Wisconsin Professional Police Association Law Enforcement Honor Roll; Wisconsin League of Conservation Voters Conservation Champion; several Wisconsin Environmental Decade Clean 16 awards; Shepherd Express Best State Legislator; Wisconsin Public Health Association’s Champion of Public Health; Coalition of Wisconsin Aging Groups Award for Service to Seniors; Wisconsin Professional Fire Fighters Legislator of the Year.
- Elected to Assembly 1984–2000. Elected to Senate since 2002. Leadership positions: Senate President Pro Tempore, 2011–2013; Assembly Speaker Pro Tempore, 1993–1994.
Member of Domestic Abuse, Council on, State Fair Park Board, Transportation Projects Commission and Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation
Said he would only support a medical marijuana bill if the provision to allow home cultivation for patients be removed.
State Capitol, Room 109 South Post Office Box 7882
Madison, WI 53707-7882