Rep. Gary Tauchen received a D+ at this time. His opposition statement is weak, his own survey yeilded 63% support for medical, he did not co-sponsor the Republican medical marijuana bill and he is Vice Chair on the Assembly Committee of State Affiars which has not scheduled any marijuana legislation for a public hearing.
Holds office State Assembly District 6
- Born Rice Lake, Wisconsin, November 23, 1953; single.
- Graduate Bonduel High School, 1971; attended University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1971–72; B.S. in Animal Science, University of Wisconsin-River Falls, 1976.
- Dairy farmer.
- Member: Shawano Rotary; Major, Wisconsin Wing, Civil Air Patrol Legislative Squadron (official Auxiliary of the U.S. Air Force).
- Former member: Wisconsin Farm Bureau; Badger AgVest, LLC (former director); Pro¬fessional Dairy Producers of Wisconsin (former director); Dairy Business Association; Wisconsin Livestock Identification Consortium (former director, former chair); Brown, Shawano, Outagamie, Waupaca County Republican Party; Shawano Area Chamber of Commerce; Shawano County Dairy Pro¬motions (former director); Cooperative Resources International (former vice chair); AgSource Cooperative Services (former chair); National Dairy Herd Improvement Association (former director); University of Wisconsin Center for Dairy Profitability (former chair).
- Elected to Assembly since 2006. Leadership positions: Minority Caucus Sergeant at Arms 2009.
Would you support changing state law to legalize marijuana and/or cannabis products? If so, under what conditions? If not, why?
Last session we passed two pieces of legislation. One allows industrial hemp to be grown in Wisconsin. The other makes it lawful for doctors to prescribe cannabinoid (CBD) oil to patients. My concern is that the federal government considers marijuana a controlled substance. I don’t feel comfortable moving forward until the jurisdictional issues are addressed. In Wisconsin we do not tax medical supplies.
He did not co-sponsor the Republican legislation supported by his caucus to create a medical marijuana program for Wisconsin .
State Capitol, Room 13 West Post Office Box 8953
Madison, WI 53708